Image via Flickr
What are the benefits of running your business systematically?
- Setting goals and establishing a culture of customer satisfaction and continual improvement enables an organization to maintain and grow.
- Working with employees and gaining consensus of the best way to conduct different processes (procedures) and activities (work instructions) ensures buy in, efficiency and productivity.
- Documenting best practices ensures consistency (all perform processes and activities in the same, accepted best way) and continuity (both current and future employees perform processes and activities in the same, accepted best way).
- Monitoring and measuring processes to prevent problems from occurring and taking long term corrective actions when problems do occur leads to increased productivity and profitability.
- Effectively training and enabling employees ensures highly qualified and motivated employees and results in higher productivity, increased customer satisfaction and improved profitability.
The ISO family of standards (ISO 9001, AS9100, AS9110, ISO 14001, etc.) provides guidelines for conducting and managing business systematically, efficiently and effectively.
The ISO 9001 family of standards requires that organizations:
- Choose metrics along with goals for processes that are most important to them. (5.4.1)
- Monitor and measure output from those processes. (8.2.3)
- Analyze the performance data for those processes. (8.4)
- Make corrections or take appropriate corrective action when established goals are not reached or trends are negative. (8.5.2)
Continue reading “You can’t improve what you don’t measure” »